Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How To Make An Altered Picture Frame

Altered Picture Frame

I have been wanting to make one of these for a while now.  There are so many options with these to make them fit any decor.  With the amount of scrapbook paper and embellishments available, the possibilities are endless.

I made this Altered/Decorated Picture Frame for my daughter's room and plan on making another for my son's room.

Below, you will find the steps I took in order to make this cutie.

These are the supplies I used.  There are a few things that I forgot to include in the picture... oops.  Scissors, an Xacto knife, sand paper and glue.  I used E600, but you can use hot glue or your preference of glue.


I took apart everything from the actual frame.


Then, I cut scrapbook paper to the sizes that I wanted.  I just used the frame as a pattern and cut away.  Of course, you can use one sheet of paper if you like.


I sprayed my picture frame with Krylon Spray Adhesive.


And quickly placed the paper on the frame.  I gently rubbed the paper onto the frame.  This spray gets sticky really fast and I would recommend doing this in a box or something with sides if doing this indoors.  I wouldn't recommend doing this on your kitchen table. *cough cough*  However, if you do, it wipes up easily.  Just don't leave it on too long.

I was actually looking for the adhesive sheets instead of the spray, but Michael's did not carry them.  I know Hobby Lobby has them though.  That would make this project easier.  You could put the sheets directly onto your scrapbook paper before placing it onto your picture frame.


Once, the adhesive had dried a bit, I trimmed any extra paper from edges and cut outs with my knife.  Make sure that you are cutting on something so you do not cut any surfaces.  I used a piece of cardboard.


Once, I had all of my paper cut away, I sanded all of the edges to make sure there wasn't any bits of paper left.


This next step can be skipped if you like.  I love the look that the ink adds.  I wanted to get Distressed Ink, but Michael's was out of black.  I just purchased the cheapest ink they had in stock.

I rubbed the ink pad on the outside edges at an angle and then used a sponge brush for the smaller areas.  How much of an angle you have will depend on the amount of ink that goes on.



Last but not least, I added my goodies to finish her up.  Let your imagination go wild!  I went simple on this one.

The only thing that I should have done, but didn't do, was to Mod Podge the picture frame after I put the paper on.

Altered Picture Frame

Altered Picture Frame

Happy crafting!!

Shared At:

Sugar Bee Crafts - Take-A-Look Tuesday
Funky Polkadot Giraffe - Too Cute Tuesday
Tip Junkie handmade projects
A Beach Cottage - Good Life Wednesday
Tea Rose Home - Linky Party
Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday
My Girlish Whims - Your Whims Wednesday
Sugar and Dots - What I Whipped Up Wednesday
Polka Dots on Parade - Wow Me Wednesday
Sweet Peas and Bumblebees - What I Made Wednesday

Pin It

2 comments:

Coley said...

Found you via the link party @ Confessions of a Stay at Home Mom...

That turned out super cute. I used that Krylon spray adhesive a lot myself and LOVE it.

abeachcottage said...

That turned out great! Thanks for sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...